Kool G Rap and Nas + The Ramones= “The Sedated Fast Life”

July 27, 2009 by
Filed under music

ramones

Due to the positive response to Wu-Tang and Def Leppard= “Cream and Sugar,” I was inspired to spend my Saturday working on another mash-up track.

It’s a mix of one of my favorite hip-hop songs of all time, Kool G Rap ft. Nas “Fast Life,” with one of my favorite punk rock songs of all time, The Ramones’ “I Wanna Be Sedated.”

A little backstory on its creation. I was actually reworking G Rap’s vocals over another rock track, something from a totally different era, different vibe, different sound altogether, and I got to thinking, even though this sounds good, what kind of synergy do these artists have with one another. I spent a good 15 minutes trying to rationalize it and couldn’t come up with anything substantial.

I kept coming to this part of “Fast Life” where the hook says, “Livin the fast life with fast cars, everywhere we go people know who we are/ a team from out of Queens with the American Dream…. ” And then I thought, what’s another team from out Queens with the American Dream? The Ramones!

I imported the audio for “I Wanna Be Sedated,” and I instantly felt that the double time signature worked great with the “Fast Life” vocals. The song went from a slow, prodding rap song (albeit a great one), to a driving rock tune.

I chopped out a few pieces of Joey Ramone’s “oh oh oh oh oh” parts to give it some variation, then dropped the first instance of the “I Wanna Be Sedated” hook after G Rap’s verse, and another instance of it from later in the Ramones song after Nas’s verse. There’s actually a chord change in this 2nd instance of the Ramones’ hook that I really wanted to expound upon for the G Rap/Nas back and forth on the last verse, but there really wasn’t enough clean source material (without Joey’s vocals) to rework it into something usable. So I just went back to the main chord that is used for the bulk of the song.

From a conceptual standpoint, I also dig the fact that these songs are like polar opposites. Here’s G Rap and Nas rhyming about the fast life, attaining these great things, high finance and luxury goods. Basically, being a success. The American Dream realized. And the Ramones are just like, “hey, that’s great, but get me out of here.” Like screw the American Dream, life couldn’t be any less interesting than it is with all that crap. I thought that was kinda cool.

Feel free to download, play it, pass it around, whatever….

Kool G Rap and Nas + The Ramones= “The Sedated Fast Life” (prod by DJ Bailey and Gooch

• Brooke Fraser

3 Tweets 27 Other Comments

Comments

31 Responses to “Kool G Rap and Nas + The Ramones= “The Sedated Fast Life””
  1. Illersz1 says:

STOP PLEASE

This comment was originally posted on Nah Right

2. That cover is pure comedy b lol.

3. so much swag says:

wow…this Drake shit has now gone to another level

4. » Drake to star in ‘Us and Them’ sitcom
    ===============================
    If dude can get his Fresh Prince on while still making relevant music…?

5. Tong Po Flo says:

*sees cover*

*gets back to doing paperwork*

6. worst post of the month

This comment was originally posted on Nah Right

7. If dude can get his Fresh Prince on while still making relevant music…?
    =============================================
    Drake = 2009 David Cassidy

Google it

8. Daily Drug says:

Watching Ross Kemp back in LA…

Yo, these latino gangstas are on some super duper uber KKK Jim Crow racist shit

The shits kinda stunning

^the gangland in Jamaica was crazy. You got a link for back in LA?

9. Silo says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

10. RIGZ says:

the gangland in Jamaica was crazy. You got a link for back in LA?

^^^

Nah its on TV

And yeah, the yard one was good…

11. Daily Drug says:

The nigga Drake need to watch the image, almost like some forces plotting against him. Maybe Im clueless…

12. RIGZ says:

to tell the truth, I just clocked I seen this one before…i just never saw all the bits with the racist latinos before…I musta just caught the ending when I first saw it

13. KCNHO says:

DIE….

14. KCNHO says:

DIE….

15. KCNHO says:

DIE….

16. smh @ this.

sidenote: Ross Kemp: In Search Of Pirates >>>>>>

This comment was originally posted on Nah Right

17. that new Tron is gonna be off the hook….i aint even into all that animated/comicon shit

but i’ve watched that trailer mad times already

18. GMZ says:

I didn’t even realize that was Drake’s face. Lol.

19. hustleGRL says:

WOW, lol. I’m scared to listen, haha.

20. G.O.D. to you says:

So amateur! what a fuckin stupid remix! Is this what the big bad nahright is posting these days! RUBBISH! try getting an actual acapella for your next remix douche.

This comment was originally posted on Nah Right

21. this is funny *and* dope.

22. junclassic says:

Wow…. thats REAL interesting….

23. JAYLMOSSES says:

drake is a ugly mothafu*** ol bean face lookin boy

24. Harosa says:

Wow, amateurish at the highest level, like dude had two cassettes playing together at the same time like back in them old boomboxes. I was actually looking forward to this from the funny ass cover art.

25. MC Diabetic says:

damn, that has to be one of the most rediculous covers i’ve ever seen in my life haha

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] says in his post of the track: From a conceptual standpoint, I also dig the fact that these songs are like polar [...]